Guestbook

Monday, July 21, 2008

When Romance Meets Destiny (Gwangshiki dongsaeng gwangtae / 광식이 동생 광태 -2005)

When Romance Meets Destiny
Starring:
Tae-gyu Bong - Yu Gwang-tae
Kyeong-ho Jeong - Kim Il-wung
Ah-jung Kim - Lee Kyung-jae
Ju-hyuk Kim - Yu Gwang-shik
Yo-won Lee - Ko Yun-kyung
Cheol-min Park

Roughly divided into three equal parts, film kicks off with the decade-long inability of mild-mannered photographer Gwang-shik (Kim Ju-hyeok) to express his love for high-school sweetheart Yun-gyeong (Lee Yo-weon). When Yun-gyeong is ready to make her affections plain, Gwang-shik's drunken brother, Gwang-tae (Bong Tae-gyu), accidentally foils their romantic progress. Second chapter discloses Gwang-tae has little problem bedding babes, but his pursuit of sexy and intellectual marathon runner Gyeong-jae (Kim Ah-jung) reveals he's emotionally stunted. Final section blends the two strands. Helming is inventive and astute, though the script lags slightly as meller elements gain ascendancy. Performances all ring true, and tech package is up to the usual Korean high standard. -- Variety


This movie started out with a bang and ended with a "WTH?" I'm so dissappointed with this movie. I watched this in the hopes of some sweet romance and comedy. Oh yeah, it had that in abundance but I didn't quite like the feeling of being betrayed at the end.

Viewers in movies go in hopes of trading their lives for hope, peace, and enjoyment while spent in a theater lost in the new world of cinema. Okay, so I wasn't in a theater but in my living room lounged on my sofa while my kids run amok and my mother lies on the other sofa reading a book. But I'm still lost in the world of cinema via my high-speed internet computer.

So I'm laying there, anticipation abound. I enjoyed the first half of the movie and my hopes are leaping and my heart is pounding waiting for Gwang-shik to finally confess his love. We are almost there....almost....almost....he's at the alter....arm outstretched....palm is up....reaching....reaching......he grabs the microphone??????? WTF!??!

I won't give away the rest of the end of the movie but lets just say that both brothers got screwed in the end and so did the viewers. Romance my ass!!!!

Why can't the Korean romance/drama writers give us a happy ending? Is that tooooo much to ask for? I'd say that 1 out of every 20 movies, Korean movies, have happy endings. Why do I even watch? It's like the lottery....you hope you get the winning ticket........................

No comments: